Skip to content
- Get to know what’s in season. Air-freighting crops into the country all-year round, means that we’ve lost the simple pleasure that comes with the eating first English asparagus of the year, or the first Cheddar strawberries. Get to know what’s in season now, and eat it! Use our list of seasonal UK fruit and veg, along with suggested recipes of how to use them.
- Why not try growing something yourself? You only need a windowsill and a couple of pots, to be able to grow a year-round supply of baby salad leaves.
- Visit one of the local markets, and see how food shopping can be enjoyable again! Get chatting to local producers about what’s in season, and how best to cook it – you’ll find it a much more relaxed experience than the Friday night supermarket run.
- If you’re an internet/home delivery shopper, why not try one of the local box schemes, or local home delivery services – it’s possible to get locally-produced meat, veg, dairy produce, preserves and bread delivered to your door.
- Try using your local shops – you may find that you can get all you need on-foot, rather than by driving to the supermarket.
- You can also contribute to our search for the best Local Food Shop, Restaurant/Café and Pub/Bar in Bristol.