- This event has passed.
Unwrapping Food: How can we finance a fairer food system?
November 16, 2017 @ 6:00 pm - 8:30 pm UTC+1| Free
Today, farmers are in the rare and unfortunate position of having to buy at retail and sell at wholesale.
Our food systems have been driven by intensive production, distribution and processing; where short-term profit is too often made to the detriment of wider societal and environmental benefits, and where the majority of those profits are cornered by a limited few companies.
In short, food and farming needs a shake up.
Triodos Bank, the Food Ethics Council and Organico are delighted to host Unwrapping Food; an evening to discuss how we can finance a fairer food system.
We will consider a range of questions on how to enable fair, sustainable food and farming that works for everyone, including:
- What role does ethical finance play in creating a sustainable food system?
- How can we use money innovatively to speed up progress?
- What opportunities are there for social businesses in the food system to raise capital – in a fair and transparent way?
Our speakers for this event include:
- Rebecca Pritchard – Head of Business Banking at Triodos Bank, a pioneer in ethical banking and experts in financing organic food production.
- Ben Pugh – Founder of Farmdrop, the online food delivery company who recently raised £7m in Series A funding, having previously successfully crowdfunded.
- Julian Baggini – philosopher, author and member of the Food Ethics Council.
The discussion will be chaired by Dan Crossley, Executive Director of the Food Ethics Council.
After presentations from our speakers, there will be a Q&A session, followed by a delicious free buffet, kindly sponsored by Organico.