- This event has passed.
Feed Bristol’s Grow Leader Course 2017
January 19, 2017 @ 9:00 am - July 22, 2017 @ 4:30 pm UTC+1| £552
Feed Bristol’s Grow Leader Course is back by popular demand. The course aims to support more people to become effective facilitators to engage a range of people in ecological land management and food growing. With a focus on how to develop projects and activities where people and wildlife can thrive in a productive food growing setting.
The aim of the course is to train and give people practical experience in community engagement, teaching skills, occupational health and therapeutic horticulture. All based around small scale market gardening and agri-ecological systems at Feed Bristol.
Aims and objectives
- Deliver a hands-on practical course with lots of tools and techniques that can be directly applied to land based projects with a holistic approach to engaging people in an ecologically productive setting
- To increase skills and understanding in organic food growing, wildlife conservation, social care and ecological land management
- To enable participants to take the lead in planning and delivering practical activities with a wide range of target groups with different needs
- To give people tools to become an effective and engaging facilitator or tutor
- To increase confidence in larger scale garden planning and ecological land management
- To enable participants to write necessary policies, risk assessments and activity plans
- Employees working on community projects from support assistants and project officers to project managers (course structured to engage a range of levels)
- Volunteers in existing projects looking to progress by demonstrating practical management techniques, facilitator skills and self-reflective learning
- People interested in starting a new wildlife gardening or food growing project
- People looking for an inspirational change career
The three core themes will be delivered over 12 sessions:
- Food Growing
- Community Engagement
- Ecology and conservation.
All are interlinked with a holistic approach to community agro-ecology project management. Each includes the core principles of planning/management/review, how to be an effective tutor, and working with a range of people with different needs.
Each day is split between theory and hands on practicals, where we explore the inspirational site. Once into the swing of things students will be expected to develop and deliver practical sessions.
We give you access to our course Google Drive and Grow Leader forum. This is so you can start to network as well as share knowledge and experience with a range of people that have been on other courses at Feed Bristol.
This is non accredited course but it is formally structured and you will receive an official Avon Wildlife Trust Certificate on completion.
Fees are structured on a sliding scale. See website for more details: http://www.avonwildlifetrust.org.uk/GrowLeaderCourse2017?instance=0