Introduction to fungi cultivation
June 2 @ 10:00 am - June 3 @ 4:30 pm UTC+1| £65 - £125
Fascinated by fungi? Or ever marvelled at the mysteries of mushrooms? Then this two-day course is for you!
Starting out with a brief introduction to fungal biology, diversity and ecology, we will explore how incredibly strange and important this hidden Kingdom of Fungi is to us and all life on Earth. Once we’ve established a good understanding of what fungi are, we will then work practically with several outdoor and indoor growing techniques that can be applied to produce a range of delicious edible fungi in any home, garden or allotment.
The course will cover:
- An introduction to the biology, life cycles and ecology of fungi
- Growing fungi in ground level and raised bed systems
- Log cultivation and natural culture techniques
- Choice species of edible and medicinal fungi
- Site selection and observations
- Choosing and grading substrate
- Irrigation, care and maintenance
- Sterile cultivation techniques on a budget
- Grain spawn, production blocks and sawdust spawn
- Fruiting chambers and dealing with pests